Lucidica is the IT support team for London businesses.
Thanks for viewing this page, hopefully it helps you solve your technical issue if not feel free to drop us a line here and we’ll provide additional help and support.
How to Improve Your Wireless (Wifi)
– Change your Wifi router channel to optimize your wireless signal
NOTE: This is one method of improving your wireless connection
- Download â€˜Wifi Analyzer’ (Android) or â€˜Network Analyzer Lite’ (iPhone) on your mobile to view the traffic on channels.
– Is it on a channel other than 1, 6 or 11? If not, move it to one of the least congested one of them by:
- Logging into the router using the web address, username, and password located on the back of your home router.
- Following the instructions given by your network provider to change your â€˜channel’ to a less congested channel; 1, 6 or 11.
Wireless facts that may help you understand it better:
- Wifi â€“ is a radio, communicates data via radio
- When communicating with wireless, you need to use spectrum (radio)
- Spectrum license is expensive
- 4GHz and 5GHz spectrum are used by wireless/phones
- 4GHz (older) very congested (easier to use) than 5GHz
- The lower the frequency, the slower the wireless connection
- Lower spectrum frequency penetrates walls/items further (wavelengths are more spaced out)
- 5Ghz is faster but doesn’t have as much range
- It is advised to get an access point that can do 5GHz as well as 2.4GHz (dual channels)
- Access point = device e.g router is a cable device (tells traffic where to go), does the wireless
- Wifi Analyzer â€“ tells you all the channels available (12 channels) make sure it’s on channel 1, 6 or 11.
Hope this helps!